All Safe Zone members must be certified at an initial training session on topics that pertain to challenges faced by those within the LGBTQ community as well as issues faced by those willing to be allies. Upon completion of the initial training session, members will receive a SafeZone pin as well as a Safe Zone decal that can be prominently displayed to indicate membership.
Furthermore, Lunch N Learns as well as other types of informative meetings help to reinforce the initial training, to launch new ideas, to discuss areas of concern and to formulate solutions.
Safe Zone Training Dates (Spring 2014)
- Wednesday, January 15, 2014, 9:30 am-12:30 pm, Multicultural Resource Center, Conference Room (Faculty/Staff Training)
- Friday, February 7, 2014, 9:30 am-1:30 pm, Student Health Services, Wellness Center Training Room (Student Training)
- Tuesday, February 18, 2014, 9:30 am-12:30 pm, Student Health Services, Wellness Center Training Room (Faculty/Staff Training)
- Tuesday, March 4, 2014, 9:30 am-1:30 pm, Student Health Services, Wellness Center Training Room (Student Training)
Lunch N Learn
Lunch N Learns is the continuation of SafeZone training. Individuals who have been Safe Zoned trained are strongly encouraged to come to the Lunch N Learns. Bring your own lunch and join us for innovative thought provoking discussions!
Lunch N Learn Dates Spring (2014)
- “Queer People of Color,” Tuesday, January 21, 2014, 12:30-1:30 pm,Virginia Dare Room, Alumni House
- “Masculinity,” Tuesday, February 4, 2014, 12:30-1:30 pm, Virginia Dare Room, Alumni House
- “Queer People in the Bible,” Tuesday, February 25, 2014, 12:30-1:30 pm, Virginia Dare Room, Alumni House
Funding for Safe Zone has traditionally been provided by The Guilford Green Foundation and Wesley-Luther Campus Ministries. This year funding will be provided by the Office of Multicultural Affairs and Wesley-Luther Campus Ministries.