Welcome to UNCG’s Safe Zone, a campus group of student, faculty, and staff allies that support gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender, queer/questioning, intersex, and asexual individuals.
Update: UNCG has now received a score of 4.5 from Campus Pride! The Honor Roll recognizes the achievements of colleges and universities who score a LGBTQ-Friendly star rating of 3 stars of above. This score puts us on the honor roll! Read more about this accomplishment at http://ure.uncg.edu/prod/news/releases/uncg-ranks-high-on-campus-pride-index/.
SafeZone creates a network of allies who promote a campus environment that is open and welcoming to all LGBTQ students.
The purpose of SafeZone training is:
- Provide space for open, honest discussion of LGBTQ topics, ideas, and issues
- Encourage and stimulate creative thinking on complex topics in the UNCG community
- Explore topics of interest related to LGBTQ students at UNCG
The goals of SafeZone training are:
- Promote an environment where each member of the UNCG community is welcomed and valued.
- Promote understanding, acceptance, and appreciation of our LGBTQ students.
- Promote a culture of inclusion at UNCG through a network of SafeZone trained students, faculty, and staff who support our LGBTQ students; understand the unique challenges faced by the LGBTQ community; are aware of campus resources; and work to challenge discriminations, homophobia, heterosexism, and ignorance.
Our Learning Objectives
Upon completion of SafeZone training, participants should:
- Identify and respond to behavior and language that is offensive and exclusionary to LGBTQ students.
- Increase overall awareness/understanding of LGBTQ issues at UNCG.
- Promote a greater sense of safety for the LGBTQ community at UNCG.
- Act as a campus resource for SafeZone information at UNCG.